Saturday 11 December 2010

Step Up

I've never been a hip hop dancer. In fact I've never tried any vaguely modern type of dance. So why then, when I channel-flick and come across Step Up on TV, do I immediately want to get up and Irish dance? It's like a button gets pressed in my brain any time I see somebody perform, or even practice, any type of dance. I don't dance in my seat, but I subconciously move in unison with them, even if it's just leaning in the direction of their arm extension or lifting my ribcage when they jump. Despite the predictable wrong-side-of-the-tracks/love story thing it's brought out the dancer in me again, so out came the poodle socks and the jig shoes.

I've spent the last hour or so drilling clicks and trebles, all to a hip hop soundtrack. It means I missed half the storyline but it's only the dancing I'm interested in anyway, and I relate. I might not be able to pop and lock, I can't pas de chat and I definitely can't fouette. But it's the same for all of us, really. Trying and trying. In films everyone succeeds. Maybe I'll fail. I might not be able to learn their dance form but I can learn from their determination.

Back to click drills.

No comments:

Post a Comment