Tuesday 11 January 2011

My First Class

After last night, Monday the 10th of January 2011, I suppose I can call myself an Irish dance teacher. Unqualified, but teaching dance nonetheless. Yes, I've finally done something practical towards my exam and I've opened an adults class!

Don't get too excited. I only had one dancer show up. But she's danced a little before, so we steamed through my brand-new beginners steps and she learned all of my baby reel, hop jig and light jig. Shamefully I forgot my slip jig (remembered it as soon as I stepped out into the car park) and could only teach her lead and second, but she got it all. I even started her on my experimental beginner's heavy jig.

I'm sure it will pick up. I've had interest from elsewhere, and the aim is eventually to have enough for ceili. There are some bits of advertising I can do that I haven't got around to yet. It'll pick up.

I was so nervous all day, and second-guessed myself because of it. Yet again, I considered jacking it all in. But when I came home and Significant Other asked me if I'd enjoyed myself, I didn't hesitate to say yes. I'm pleased with myself for taking that step - if you knew me and knew how shy I was, how little teaching experience I have, you'd know how hard it was for me. It was a real giant's step in some ways and a baby step in others...but it's done. The first class is always the hardest.

No comments:

Post a Comment