Tuesday 19 April 2011

Class

I don't know where to start really. I got there about 40 minutes early to do some practice and there began a complete mixed bag of an evening. My new supposedly easy heavy jig (one day to be a jig set step) was actually quite difficult with some funny timing and a treble sequence that I can do in bare feet but not in shoes. I did it a few times over and recorded it to watch back. I still sit on my knees and treble too far ahead of myself. But, I fixed the timing, the double-back is strong on BOTH feet (miracle) and occasionally I hit some clicks. It WAS getting slightly better. Until my arches decided to flare and my Achilles decided to seize up. I tried to persevere - stretched them out, did some exercises - and attempted Job. I was trying to video it and messed it up every single time; it was getting ironically amusing.

Everyone started arriving then (I had three, woo) so I put my trainers on and played teacher instead of dancing along with them like I usually do. All the light solos went ok so I took advantage of the fact that there were four of us and attempted to dance again.

We did the Four-Hand Reel just so that I could get that first figure straight in my head for once. Achieved! We then moved on to the Humours of Bandon which is actually a lot of fun to dance. Last time I taught it, I got the first figure a little bit wrong but this time I had everyone catching the correct hands and it didn't go too badly. But then I felt a burning pain in the arch of my right foot, like something had snapped, so that was it from me. Trainers back on (they are good shoes, good support) and traditional sets attempted. R got St Patrick's Day, all the way through, which I was pleased with as they were struggling with the set a bit. She also managed the step of the Blackbird, as did J, and we moved on to the first half of the set which is coming along.

After a quick check of the Worlds results (look at the grid marks on feisresults.blogspot.com - yesterday's winners were very consistent. Good to see. Jack Quinn = amazing!) I showered then spent the rest of the evening icing my feet, rubbing in ibuprofen gel, and mummifying myself in supports. That routine repeated this morning minus the ice. And I thought to myself, how am I ever going to get good enough to pass the dancing exam if I can't DANCE? I'm confident I could take the writtens today and pass. I'd give ceili teaching a bloody good go and might scrape through. Solo teaching, if I got lucky and got beginner or middling dancers I might get through that as well. Own dancing - only if I didn't have to do jig, hornpipe or any modern sets. Such a shame you can't take this exam in instalments.

I was aiming for mid-2012 and I don't think I'm going to get there. It's already mid-2011 and I can't do any meaningful dance practise - and there's SO MUCH to fix. Turnout - fine in socks, abysmal in shoes. Rhythm, ok, but still unused to the shoes. Clicks, generally not happening. Knees - permanently bent. Not high on toes, not crossing. These are all things I used to be able to do, but only on four classes a week. If I had a week off, everything would be gone and I'd have to start again. I know what I'm like.

Then on the way to work I just realised - I only have to put up with pain, ice, stiffness and bandages until the exam is over. After that I choose when I dance. And I started to think maybe it isn't so impossible after all.

-----

Off to Dublin on Wednesday afternoon - class resumes on Wednesday 27th.

No comments:

Post a Comment