Wednesday 30 November 2011

Watching and learning

My 100th post... :)

I'm getting better at watching dancers and identifying faults, weaknesses, and things to work on. To be a good teacher you have to be part-adjudicator, because you need to see things through an ADCRG's eyes. You have to train yourself to spot tiny little errors and small flashes of brilliance that poke through a full performance and could mean an extra 0.5 marks here, minus 0.25 marks there. It could be the difference between qualifying or not. I'm starting to be able to work out why dancers have these faults and where they come from. Why does she go off time there? Oh, because she leans back a touch which alters her trebling position. I feel like I could make constructive criticism.

I've also seen proof that the position of the adjudicator can have a huge effect on your mark. When people say "maybe judge A missed something that the others didn't", a lot of people think that must be just an excuse for an inconsistent set of marks. But if you watch a small competition you really learn how true it is - if you dance steps weakly on your right foot in front of the adjudicator on the right, then there's no escape - but even in your set, when you're alone on stage, it might not come across to the middle adjudicator and most likely won't to the left adjudicator.

There's no way I can express how much my enthusiasm for dancing spikes after just an hour or so at a feis. I've been down on myself and mostly negative this year since the Worlds, and it's because I haven't been to a feis since the Worlds! I must make sure I'm never too busy to go along again. The inspiration from the steps, the things you can learn just by watching - even if I stick with steps that were fashionable back when I was competing, watching more dancers is only going to helpful both for the TCRG exam, where I have to find faults to correct in a stranger's dancing, and in the long run. There are no more competitions anywhere near me for the rest of the year but come January, my car will become the Feis Mobile and I shall honk because I love Irish dancing.

No comments:

Post a Comment