Wednesday 30 October 2013

Six weeks

...and I'm partially screwed as far as solo practice is concerned. Up til now I could dance on Monday night at class, on a Tuesday in an empty function room near home, Saturday mornings in the same place, and occasional Sundays in the same place. The room is now let out to another group on Tuesdays. Two solo practices a week is not going to cut it, not when I've just had my shoes altered (tips cut down) and I really need to get more practice in them. That's 12 practices before the exam, plus about 3 Sundays. 15 sessions. Not enough.

I practiced at home last night, but obviously I can't wear shoes and all the floors are rock solid. Shins are buzzing a bit today.

I'm feeling really confident with ceili teaching though, so perhaps I can give that a back seat and just keep it ticking over with one practice a week perhaps.

Things I still need to do:

- Finalise boy's reel teaching step.
- Finalise boy's hornpipe teaching step.
- New slip jig dancing step for myself - the other one just isn't working on me.
- Practice boy's heavy jig teaching step.
- Practice the shit out of everything.

43.

My friend, who eventually will be my assistant teacher and take her TMRF, was given a bottle of Moet for her birthday last week. She decided not to open it, and is saving it for the day I tell her I've passed instead. Gulp.

3 comments:

  1. I've been reading your blog for a while now and as I'm going in for my exam this January, can totally relate. I've now come to a point where I'm just totally freaked out. I'm not scared of the written exams, not even of the teaching. But the dancing..... Not an open dancer and there I'll be next to champs....And no time to focus on my steps (modern sets) in class because of qualifiers coming up. Terrifying.

    But considering you almost got it last time I'm sure you'll do just fine. Just trust in your capabilities and I'm sure you'll get it this time around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Anon. The good thing to remember is that even if there are five World Champs in your room, you're not competing. The panel aren't ranking you against each other to decide who'll pass, you just have to meet the standard. I'd more than happily pass with a 70% even if everyone else in my room got 95%!

    Best of luck in January x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanx for your reply and your kind words. Although I'm going for high scores in most exams, I'll be over the moon with a 70% in the dance exam. I'll keep reading your blog and keep my fingers crossed for you!

    ReplyDelete