Sunday 3 November 2013

Ceili teaching

I'm on this. I've got this. Last time, I was vocally paralysed and could not find the tunes. I didn't approach it in the best way - I waited too long to give the panel the information they were looking for and both times they had to prompt me for the tune. I have the right approach now. I've paid more attention to the lilting. I've taught and danced every single step in that blue book. I know the tricky bits. I know what I did wrong.

I didn't give a spiel before teaching St Pat's (either dance, in fact). I didn't check everyone was turning correctly in half right and left, and I didn't explicitly state that it was 6 bars so the kids improvised and the panel jumped in before I had time to correct them. I didn't lilt. Not much, not properly. I didn't demo the footwork, I didn't "guide the dancers through the movements" - I explained it all as a theory exercise, I didn't TEACH it, I didn't move them. I didn't move off the spot. 

Haste, I didn't tell them about the tune. I mixed my threes. I didn't progress that quickly. I said "I think we go round to the right now...I think". I lacked confidence. I only paid attention to one set of four. I didn't demo, lilt or move. I didn't have my rings finishing in the best position (I did tell them). I didn't turn the top couple after 2nd ring. 

I got 61%. It wasn't THAT bad. I knew the movements, no question. I had a bit of rapport with the dancers. I just need to do it MORE. 

The last 10 days alone I've taught Trip, Sweets, Eight Hand Jig, Waves. Both Cross figures, 2nd figure of Humours, An Rince Mor, Gates, Four Hand. Tomorrow back to back. I just want this so much and this time I have to, I will, show them that I don't just know the words in the book. I know the dances. The tunes. The fiddly bits. I love it all. I love ceili. Deep breath and go. I know this, I CAN do this, I need this, I will do this. 

I will. 

No comments:

Post a Comment