Saturday 5 May 2012

Happy dancer

I feel very proud of myself today. I've done exactly what I said I was going to do yesterday - I've practised, And I've practised a lot, for me. Around 11am I began a steady warm-up, working through various exercises and warming up each part of my feet that gives me trouble, particularly the achilles. I had a nice little routine going there which would be ideal for a champ class, something they could do at home and at a feis too. I stretched, I bounced, I did some weights as well to ensure my upper body wasn't woefully neglected.

I ran Blue Eyed time after time. It's not perfect, but it's progress. I need faster feet at the end. But I know the choreography works and I like the steps.

I ran my one jig step a few times. God it was woeful on the left foot. I did a little shuffle at one point and shouted out loud "WHAT was that?!" But then I started dancing it stronger, really dancing it, and it was beginning to work and I was beginning to get it on time.

Rub the Bag - I thought, just blast it. I read over my steps to review and thought I'd just give it a go. I LOVE this set. I feel foolish for disliking it, I feel a bit sorry for it. I'm really pleased with the steps and fixed the ending so it fits. I end up on a different foot each time at the very end but they (the examiners) won't know that. It's 100% my own work, no input from a single soul, and I'm really really proud of it. I'm not dancing it perfectly but I'm not overly concerned with that, my TCRG exam is not tomorrow.

I won't pretend I danced flat out for hours on end. I've been dancing on and off, mostly off, for about three hours. I was breathing heavily after one step, I'm out of shape. I knew that. It will all help though won't it? Each time I will get a little closer because I vow to not let myself stop until at least something, at least ONE thing, is better. If you make a small improvement every single practice, then over time they will add up to a big improvement. This is elementary stuff, why did I not realise this earlier, when I was - you know - a DANCER?!

It's only half past two at the moment. I don't want to call it a day. I want to keep getting up and doing a bit more here and there. But I want to be able to dance tomorrow, and currently the balls of my feet are burning.

The day is young. I could throw in another past paper and a music quiz, I can finish reading the autobiography, I can watch clips on Youtube for inspiration, I could do some work with my Jean Butler dvd...and still have time to cook my dinner and have a relaxing evening :)

Yes, a happy dancer indeed. A happy candidate indeed. Cheers, MF. Worked a small miracle there, so you did.

4 comments:

  1. Aughh I'm procrastinating printing out everything I need to study for the TCRG (planning to take it in 2013). Your blog is very much inspiring me to get a move on and get going!!! Keep it up :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also... I'm starting a "What's in my Dance Bag" series on my blog (http://www.onmytoes.blogspot.com), similar to this "What's in my Purse" series on one of my favorite non-dance blogs (http://www.thesmallthingsblog.com/search/label/whats%20in%20my%20purse%20series). Would you like to be one of the "dance bag" contributors? You would just need to take some pictures of you dance bag and it's contents, list all the stuff you normally carry in your bag, and any other interesting things about your dance bag & dance supplies. I could also create a list of questions for you to answer if that is easier... really it can be however long or short you would like. I would love for you to be a contributor :)

    Please let me know if this is something you would like to take part in :) I would link back to your blog, which hopefully would get some cross-over readers for both of us. I've been reading a lot of really great Irish dance blogs and I think this would be a great way to connect with our readers and other Irish dance bloggers. Have a great day!
    - Moira

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just had a look in my dance bag and it's woefully boring I'm afraid - one pair of lights, one pair of heavies, and a pair of shorts. That's genuinely it! Obviously at class time I put a bit more in there but it's just water, keys, phone...nothing interesting or postworthy at all I'm afraid! :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL... sounds very much like me. Keep up all the hard work! ...I finally made myself a study binder for the TC exam. ACK.

    ReplyDelete