Thursday 28 October 2010

The Cross Reel

OK, so I haven't reviewed Humours and although I reviewed Duke just below, who knows if I can remember it. But I'm doing the Cross Reel now, because it seems fairlyeasy, and I need a quick win right now. I still don't know if I can even be bothered to do this exam. Because I don't know if I can be bothered to get up and teach a dance class every night. Great sentiment from a future TCRG, huh? Someone you'd really want to send your kids to? I want to get past this. Hopefully I can weather the storm with some easy ceilis rather than battering myself down with a toughie. It's the illness talking.

Here are some lovely, lovely Dohertys. I bet Gavin and Seaneen never had these doubts.



NOTE - Book says this is a round dance. Not specified for some of the other 8 hands. Must remember!

Lead Round
Body - Extended Sides, Full Chain, Gentlemen Interlace, Back to Back, Exchange Places
First Figure - Figure of Eight and Ring
Second Figure - Circle Round and Hands Across
Finish (same as HCC)


MORE NOTES

- Extended Sides is the same as 8-Hand Reel
- Full Chain is exactly as it sounds
- Gentlemen Interlace is NOT the same as Gents Interlace in HCC
- Back to Back is virtually the same as in the 8-Hand Reel and Morris Reel, without the swingy bit
- Exchange places is done without hands AND without short threes - so if a question asks for movements done with consecutive sevens, this is one!
- First figure concludes with a ring instead of the more common swinging

I definitely need to see the second figure danced - must consult Olive. I'm pretty sure I get it, although it'll be very fast if it is what I think it is. This one finishes with the swing.

I like this one.

2 comments:

  1. I do as well. The Cross Reel is nice to teach as well, because you don't have to worry about the swing after the Back to Back.

    I have just found this blog and I thoroughly enjoy it! I will be back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks teacher! If you ever see any glaring errors or have any words of wisdom I'd be delighted to hear from you again! x

    ReplyDelete