Thursday 11 November 2010

The Three Tunes

I first saw this dance on the Worlds 1994 video; I think it was about 2002 by the time I finally got my hands on a copy of said video. A girls' team from the Scanlon school were performing what I later learned was the "Roly Poly", and I couldn't believe my eyes. Up until that point my ceili experience stretched only as far as the Four-Hand Reel and the High Cauled Cap. What were they doing? But it's now one of my favourites, just for it's complete uniqueness and the seamless link between each of the three tunes and the dance that accompanies it. It all just fits, perfectly. Looking at this ceili, and at the traditional sets, I can't help but wonder if people had a better grasp of rhythm, musicality and syncopation "back in the day".

Here's my attempt at remembering - corrections done after in some contrasting colour or another.

a) Sides (Haste to the Wedding)This would probably be called "Rings" in any other dance. Sidestep and threes to the left and back, then to the right and back.

b) Rings (Haste to the Wedding)Ladies take hands in the centre and promenade clockwise for 4 (back to place). All clap twice to one bar, then half-sidestep past partner (count 123, ladies in front) then full sidestep back to place (gents in front). Gents now repeat this movement! (How on earth did I forget that?!)

c) Lead Round (Leslie's Hornpipe)As ever.

d) Stamp and Clap (Leslie's Hornpipe)Stamp stamp stamp, clap clap clap. Partners exchange places with sidestep and back to places, clap hands above knees 5 times (RLRLR), clap clap clap. Repeat! Why do I keep forgetting the repeats?!

e) See-Saw (The German Beau)
Partners take hands and swing a complete anticlockwise circle, turning clockwise, back to place. Then reverse direction and swing a complete anticlockwise circle, turning anticlockwise, back to place.

f) Roly-Poly (The German Beau)With hands in fists and arms raised across chest, roll the hands around each other 3 times forwards then 3 times back. Pivot around on right heel and clap once. Gents shake right fist towards opposite in threatening manner whilst also stamping forward with right foot; repeat with left fist/foot. Gents stamp feet three times and clap hands near face of partner three times. The ladies usually raise up onto demi-pointe and turn their head to the right during the claps. Sidestep and threes (consecutive sevens - no threes) to exchange places with partner, and then return to place. Repeat.

g) Hook and Chain (Haste to the Wedding)
Gents hook left arms with the lady on the left and turn in place, then chain back to partner with right hand and continue the chain in the same direction until they meet their partner back in place.

h) Rings (Haste to the Wedding)As before

i) Sides Under Arms (Leslie's Hornpipe)Top couples form an arch under which couple to their left pass. Turn about and side couple form the arch under which tops pass. Tops then form an arch under which couple to their right pass. Turn about and side couples for the arch under which tops pass.

j) Stamp and Clap (Leslie's Hornpipe)As before.

k) Thread the Needle (The German Beau)All take hands in a ring except gent of first tops and lady on his left (lady of first sides). Top couple form an arch and lady on left passes under and back to place with all other dancers following. Lady then makes an arch with partner and top gent leads the line under the arch and back to place.

l) Roly-Poly (The German Beau)As before.

I also flipped See-Saw and Hook and Chain, but I put them back in their original places because my descriptions were correct. With some of the dances, remembering the sequence of movements photographically has helped, so I'll have to try and use that so I don't get it wrong in future. Overall though, quite pleased with how I did there.



So, twenty-seven down and three to go. I'm quite sad that there isn't more to learn, really.In terms of doing the exam 30 is more than enough of course, but if there was another book of dances that weren't on the exam then I'd want to learn them all too. I've enjoyed learning them all, I really have. A right little voyage of discovery.

I've also made a bit of a leap forward and (gulp) put some money in a savings account last night. The exam fund has begun. It's starting to get real.

2 comments:

  1. I have a correction for you (sorry!). In See-Saw, Partners take hands and swing a complete anticlockwise circle, turning clockwise, back to place. Then reverse direction and swing a complete CLOCKWISE circle (you said anticlockwise), turning anticlockwise, back to place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aha...a copy and paste error! Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete