Tuesday 15 February 2011

Five ceilis and a heavy jig

That's pretty much what I got through last night. Retaught them the first figure of the Four-Hand Reel and then went on a bit of a frenzy with any ceili that can be done in a four. Antrim Reel, Siege of Carrick and the Walls of Limerick were finished within about half an hour, and then we moved onto the Humours of Bandon. I actually love the body to dance. I've always thought the figures were a bit of a mess and my opinion remains the same, but we got them regardless. How I wish I had seven dancers instead of four. If they're going to collapse in giggles at how well the claps in the Siege of Carrick fit with the music, then I'm going to have absolutely no chance at controlling them through the Three Tunes!

Class over and tables replaced, I decided to get the heavy shoes on. Ow, it's been a while. That needs a lot of work but I'm encouraged on a couple of points:
  • Hit a few clicks, even the hard ones
  • Nailed my rhythm bits including the double back treble and the toe-over-toe
  • Didn't miss a treble
  • Loouuudddd
  • Pointe work strong
Howeverrrrr...stamina dreadful, turnout abysmal, height on clicks embarrassing. Needs work. Plan? Half-an-hour of heavy practice after every class, and try and find somewhere else to practice some other time during the week.

To finish on a happy note, one of the girls said "why can't we have more than one class a week?" I wish, J. I wish!

No comments:

Post a Comment