Wednesday 31 October 2012

What hurts?

Stolen from another dance blogger - a catalogue of my current ailments.

- Right calf muscle: stiff and sore
- Left calf muscle, specifically lower calf into achilles: honestly felt for a second that I'd torn it on Monday night. Very tight and painful when walking. Quite concerned about this and may give it an extra day's rest. The left achilles has been the most problematic for months.
- Shins: Heavens to goodness, they are on fire again. Even to the touch, and I'm sure one of them is so hurt it's bruised. It doesn't go all the way up to the knee, quite, but just above the ankle it's not even confined to the shin. It's like a thick ring of fire, three inches of hell all the way around. Complete disaster zone.
- Quads: Clearly a result of doing mostly heavies, stamping and banging.

On-off problems include the following list of horrors (fitting since it's Hallowe'en).

- Arches: Yes, still. But only ever while I'm dancing. The pain is sometimes unbearable in light shoes, generally unbearable in heavy shoes, but often completely absent when dancing in socks alone. I dance in heavies until I can't bear it anymore, rip them off, walk around to loosen them, and dance a few steps in socks. That seems to alleviate the problem but even daily arch-support-wearing isn't helping.
- Foot thing: On the top of the right foot, bony bit just below the smaller 3 toes. Yesterday I was getting occasional stabbing pains there, lasting 30 seconds. Not triggered by movement and I was fine to weight-bear. Completely gone now.
- Left big toe: Sprained this one so often that any time I attempt pointe work it freezes/jams and I can't stand on tiptoe/demi-pointe without sickling outwards anymore. So I'm just avoiding pointe until the exam. When I was competing I tried the same tack, only to forget to actually go up en pointe when I was on stage. Genius.
- Lung/rib pain: Let's not go there.
- Very centre of left thigh/pelvic join. Let's seriously not go there.

I hope you appreciate everything I'm doing for you, Irish dancing. I love you. Y u no love me back?

No comments:

Post a Comment