Saturday 17 April 2010

Ceilis in the sunshine

The sun is shining - it's absolutely glorious today - so I really didn't fancy exerting myself by learning the rest of the Blackbird. So I've done two ceili dances instead!

The Bridge of Athlone
Jig - any number of couples. Gent in one line, ladies in another, couples facing.

Rising step, advance and retire - down the centre - cast off - the bridge

I kinda like this one - I think it would be fairly easy to teach as well. But I can only find really amateur videos of it on YouTube, so I'll have to wait til I have the DVDs before I can properly check. Any dance that has a bridge is fine by me!

The Siege of Carrick
Jig - danced to Haste to the Wedding. Same formation as Walls, sets of two couples facing one another with lady on the gent's right.

Ring - right and left wheels - down centre and turn - up centre and swing

Down/up centre is a little tricky and when I watched the video, it didn't look at all how I'd imagined when I was reading the book. But it's a lovely dance, apart from the hooking arms which is just a bit Cotton Eyed Joe for my liking. There's clapping though, which I like. Will need to watch this one a few times more:

No comments:

Post a Comment