Thursday 6 May 2010

Trying to get back on track

I've been so awful recently. I tested myself on the dances again earlier this week, did almost perfectly on movement names and bars but STILL can't remember my progressives from my longs. I'm going to have to force myself to do it now that the initial honeymoon period is over. If I'm to hit my target I've still got seven dances to learn by the end of the month and it's the sixth already. I don't want this to be one of my neverending schemes that I'm so enthusiastic about...and then totally lose interest in. No. Not this time!

So.



I know the lead-round, body and first figure very well indeed. I've danced this one a lot. The second figure, to me, is the trickiest one. Third figure and finish, piss easy. Well, probably not to teach but to explain. Let's go:

1 - Lead Round (16)
2 - Body (80 - 16x5)
a) Sides
b) Double Quarter Chain
c) Ladies Interlace
d) Gents Interlace
e) Stap and Clap
3 - First Figure - no name (64 - 16x4)
4 - Body (80)
5 - Second Figure - Circle and Cross (96 - 24x4)
6 - Body (80)
7 - Third Figure - Ladies Chain (32 - 16x2)
8 - Body (80)
9 - Finish (40)

...with a jaw-dropping total of 568 bars; around ten minutes of dancing!

So the first figure is sort of "up the centre, turn, dance through and turn". Tops take right hands and sidestep towards opposite couple, finishing with two short threes then sidestep back, finishing with two short threes. Couple turns once in place and gent dances around lady on left and back while lady dances around gent on right and back; both take right hands and turn once in place. Repeat with opposite tops, leading sides and opposite sides.

Third figure is ladies chain and dead easy; Top lady and opposite give right hands in centre, chain to opposite gent and turn in place. Each lady returns to own partner and turn once in place. Both couples take both hands and dance a full circle around each other. Repeat with sides.

Finish is dead easy too; take hands in ring and advance and retire twice; sidestep to right and end with two short threes, return to left and end with two short threes. Advance and retire twice, sidestep to left and end with two short threes, return to right and end with two short threes. Couples take hands and dance a complete circle back to place.

Second figure.

For some reason you even get a CHOICE!

Here's what happens BEFORE you get a choice: Leading tops advance to opposites and pass through and around. All four give right hands across and dance around clockwise. This takes 6 bars. Then;

a) leading tops release hands and dance back to place while opposites turn once in place. Then gentlemen advance, passing right arm to right arm, to opposite lady

OR

b) Couples take right hands and turn once in place (leading tops returning to place). Then gentlemen advance, passing left arm to left arm, to opposite lady.

WHY?!

But then either way, you finish the figure in the following fashion:

Gents take left hand of opposite lady and dance around her, release hands and dance back to place passing right arm to right arm, take own partner's right hand and turn once in place. This is 16 bars. Couples then take both hands and dance a circle to the right around each other to place. That's 24 bars. Then you repeat with opposite tops advancing towards tops. Then leading sides to opposite sides; then opposite sides to leading sides. Waa.

It's totally in my head, but can I write it their way?

No comments:

Post a Comment